This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to create small update

1 reply to this topic

TobiasEriksson

TobiasEriksson
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 15:57

I have been reading the MS documentation about how to create small updates and minor upgrades. But I am lost.
Does anyone know how to create a small update, in a step-by-step procedure.

I have an MSI package that I made, AFP3_0_0_28.msi where the 28 is the build number
Now if we launch that installer for the first time everything is great, but then when I launch build 29 and build 28 is not there anymore it will complain, 1316. So I understand I somehow need to create a small update, which will reinstall the whole application.
The documentation says that one should change the PackageCode, but when I set the PackageCode property in the Property table it never keeps its value when I run the msiexec with the log; msiexec /l*v msi.log /i AFP3_0_0_28.msi the value is always the same as the ProductCode, I have no idea why.

So please help, how do I create a new package that can be installed without requiring that the original msi file is accessible.

Regards
Tobias

GuySmiley

GuySmiley
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 15:45

Hi Tobias.. There are a couple of things I can think of that you can try:

- first, the Package Code isn't an MSI property, it is contained in the summary stream information for the .msi package. You can view this information by right-clicking the .msi file in windows explorer and selecting "Properties", then clicking the "Summary" tab. The package code is displayed under "Revision Number". I'm not sure how you are generating your installer package... InstallShield provides an area under "General Information">"Summary Information Stream". If you're using straight msi through Orca, you can just modify it directly through the file properties as described above. There's an API function, MsiSummaryInfoSetProperty() (see MSDN) that will do it too.

- secondly when you run your updated .msi package you should pass in REINSTALLMODE=vomus at the command-line. If you don't do this then the cached .msi package (ie. build 28 in your example) will be run instead of the updated one. I expect this is why you are getting the error..

hope this helps..
gs