This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Exception found when uninstall.

7 replies to this topic

lis_ck2000

lis_ck2000
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:48

i have written a software which has a custom action which will throw an exception when uninstalling. so i can't uninstall the software now. any one knowing how to remove that software entry from MSI Server?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:04

Use MSIZap from the Windows Installer SDK. http://msdn.microsof.../msizap_exe.asp

http://www.microsoft...msdk/sdkupdate/

About the poblem: this probably occurs because you have put a custom action after InstallFinalize that returns an error on uninstall (often because you try to access a file that is no longer on disk). The best approach is to avoid custom actions after InstallFinalize, and if you have to insert one disable the error checking for that custom action.

Note that error on uninstall like this is particularly bad because it prevents you from doing a major upgrade on the setup.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 14:56

Another option be to create a fixed MSI file, and install it as Minor Update on top of the buggy MSI. Then you should be able to uninstall.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:31

You could also manually edit the stored msi file on the computer and condition our or remove your code that is causing the uninstall to stop.

lis_ck2000

lis_ck2000
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:46

Poor me, the problem is i currently don't have the MSI with me so i don't know the product code or others. is there any place or tool i can use to view detail information of the software installed in my system?

lis_ck2000

lis_ck2000
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:48

According to Luke saying, where can i find the MSI file? i remember once i saw a directory called c:\windows\installer or c:\winnt\installer, but i can't it now. by the way, where does the windows installer keeps it installed msi?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:36

Well, you certainly have a few options to choose from now smile.gif, quick summary for you:
  • 1 - The minor upgrade solution is the best if you have setups already deployed to customers. You fix the upgrade and the problem is gone.
  • 2 - The MSIZap suggestion will work even if you don't know the product code for the application installed, all you need to know is the name of the application you want to get rid of plus downloading the tool. Use if you don't have customers with the app installed
  • 3 - The suggestion to manually edit the installed application is best if you don't want to download the tool, and have Installshield or Orca installed so you can edit the file
Windows Installer caches the MSI installation databases (just MSI, no files) in the super hidden folder %WINDIR%\Installer (normally c:\windows\installer). To see the folder go to options in explorer and enable show hidden files and uncheck the hide protected operating system files.

Once in this folder you will see a number of MSI files with strange names. These are random names assigned for your MSI's during installation. Select the first MSI, make sure the Windows Explorer status bar is visible and look there what the MSI's internal name is. Keep moving down the list until you find your msi. Open it, modify it and then try the uninstall (make a backup!). If this fails use MSIZap.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 09 July 2004 - 05:47.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:03

Note that MsiZap will not uninstall the package, i.e. all files, registry entries etc. will be left behind.