This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to build a universal patch

2 replies to this topic

MegDino

MegDino
  • Full Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:53

Hi there!

Only for testing, we need a so called 'fictive patch' for our installations which are just beeing mastered. We want to be sure, that the Setup or MSI, we build today, will be patchable tomorrow. So I've build a MSI package witch a Version number that will never be reached, for example Version 20.99. This package contains three files with application metadata. I've also build a minor update patch, based on Version 20.00.

Now when I build a MSI package with version 20.01 oder any other version less than 20.99., I want to apply the 20.99. MSP. The result should be, that the version number is set to 20.99. and the three metadata files are being patched.

But when I try to patch version 20.01, installer shows a message saying that for this patch no patchable product could be found or that the existing Installation has the wrong version number. How can I get sure, that my patch is able to patch any prduct that has the same upgrade an product code and a smaller version number than 20.99. ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 17:57

Check the version relationsship you specified.

And build the patch with whole files, not binary differences.

MegDino

MegDino
  • Full Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:07

I'm using InstallShield 2012 Spring. The version relationship for the patch is set to "previous Setup Version <= latest Setup Version". I only set "match upgrade code" to true and I included whole files.

Could it be, that it's not possible to build a patch today and to use it to patch a setup that I'm going to build tomorrow? The patch works fine on MSIs/Setups that are older than the MSP itself.