This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Many installation Languages

4 replies to this topic

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 17:35

Hi all,

We are supporting more than 20 languages in the installation created by a Basic MSI ISDevStudio 9.0 project (One executable setup.exe). The setup is working fine. The problem we are facing is that there is a large delay between the time the user click on the setup icon and when the installation shows the splash screen. Through investigation we notice that the delay is due to the fact that IS takes a long time to create the ini language files that that setup.exe uses.((It creates all of them even it will need only one!)). What confirms this... is the fact if we created a CD image Release where all the language ini files are already extracted no delay is presented. This delay can vary from one machine to the other. sometime it takes like 15 sec on a very fast machine and like 3 mins on the slower one. Installshied setup.exe doesn't give any kind of feedback to the user that it is doing something, Not even an hourglass. This for sure will lead the users to try to double click again on setup.exe and launching another installation.

This delay happens only the first time you run setup.exe. If you tries to run the setup again. The delay will be eliminated. Seems like IS is doing some caching to these ini files in the system...

I hope that someone can confirm this behaviour and tell me if I am right on my conclusions or not. And I would be very thankful if you can tell me what should I do to fix this problem.....

Thank you very much....

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:18

Just so it is clear: in general I like Installshield, it is just the best tool for the job. However, performance issues like this one is adding up to a lot of problems for setup developers. While waiting for delayed operations like this one have to ask: what are they doing under the hood?

This post probably doesn't help you much, but if someone from Installshield sees it, maybe they can comment on why Installshield appears so slow sometimes?

Did you try to compile the setup into a single MSI file (with compressed files inside it). I suppose it is possible that it might run faster that way, but using this approach causes a number of other problems, particularly if you need to install the Installscript engine. Are you using Installscript custom actions?

I have not made multi lingual setups, so pardon me if I am on the wrong track here, but I think it is possible to localize a setup into different setup languages using MST files (transforms). The creation of INI files may still be needed though.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 15:16

Hi,
Thank you for your reply....

Yes I did try to compile my project in a single MSI package (I don't use any installscript in my installation). There was no problem. The problem exist in the interval before setup.exe calls the msi installer. The setup extracts the files and this extraction process takes a long time. The setup needs these ini files to display the right language.

We want to keep using the setup.exe because of the nice feature it has. It can detect the language of you OS and run the installation in that language. The only concern is why it needs that long to do it. or at least why installshield doesn't show any feedback to show that it is doing something..........

Did any one tried to do a multi-lang installation using a single setup.exe? Are you facing the same problem?For me, I created a multi-lang empty project(No files to install). I had the same behaviour!!!

Thank you all

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:23

Sorry to not have an answer for you, I think what we need is for Installshield to give us the source code for the setup.exe bootstrapper. I don't see why they can't do this, it is just there to launch the setup with appropriate command lines and resource files isn't it? (maybe also to run several setups in sequence in Installshield X).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:40

Yeah i agree, Install Shield should give us the source for their setup.exe, or at least provide a sample so we can work out why some setups run slow, and others dont.

But I think your best would be to contact Install Shield and see what they say. Maybe their extraction code is slow? Or maybe you can tweak something to make it run a little faster.