This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

REINSTALLMODE must be on cmd line?

1 reply to this topic

yetimax

yetimax
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 16:53

Hi All,
I have a msi which calls two microsoft securty patchs with two custom actions. I am updating the original msi so it can be installed over it self. I've added a custom action that sets REINSTALL={}. Also, I've added the REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomus properties to the Property Manager but these settings are not respected when re-installing the msi and the "another version is installed" error appears. But if the REINSTALLMODE property is placed on the cmd line, it installs fine.

Is this an AdminStudio glitch? Is their a workaround so these properties do not have to place on a cmd line.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by yetimax, 07 July 2005 - 16:57.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:06

The "v" in REINSTALLMODE tells Windows Installer to re-cache the msi file and use the new version. Therefore it must be specified "outside" of the msi. When you put it in the property table Windows Installer will see it only AFTER the old msi file has been loaded, so it's too late.
Sort of a chicken and egg problem. It's not an adminstudio problem, it's a design limitation of Windows Installer. InstallShield (AdminStudio) can add a setup.exe to your disk image that will run the msi file with the appropriate command line. Alternatively deploy your update as patch (.msp) which doesn't require the "v" switch.