This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Deleting a locked file

6 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 19:08

I'm having problems with my uninstall hanging after a reboot. After exhaustive testing I have found the culprit to be an event publishing exe. If i go into Task Manager and kill the thread before the uninstall, everything works fine and no reboot is necessary. If I don't kill the thread, everything but the exe is removed, and the system requires a reboot.

Now, I'm sure the fault lies with this component, but the developer insists there is nothing wrong with his code ( blink.gif ). So , is there anyway I can kill this thread when I start my uninstall? Maybe unlock the file some way? Anything so this problem will go away? I've wasted 3 days on it already.

Thanks for any help
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 15:53

To kill the process, look at the "List and Shut Down Running Applications" section of the of the External Programs and Shell InstallScript Samples.
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 18:28

Thanks for the help Taco. biggrin.gif

That should work just fine. I'll let you know

There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 18:41

That got rid of the process just as I thought I needed. Unfortunately, it still didn't help my problem.

For some reason, after a reboot on the uninstall, the setup just hangs. When I first saw this problem, all I did was manually kill the thread I was worried about and everything seemed alright. Now, even if I kill that that thread manually it still locks up, sometimes even before a reboot.

Looks like it back to the testing room for a couple of days.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:34

Okay. Good luck with that man because I know how much "fun' tracking down installation problems can be sometimes. wink.gif
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 18:18

Taco,

Wanted to let you know how the problem turned out in the end. Never did find what was causing the lock-up on reboot. Absolutely everything was gone..no threads, no registry keys, no files, folders, databases, not a dern thing.

So the first thing I did was to remove the reboot from the uninstaller, just end the set-up. (I know this is ugly, and it's killing me to do it, but I figured what the heck, it doesn't need to get rid of anything else). This worked great....until...the next time the user choose to reboot his machine on his own. Then again, my uninstall setup would come back from the dead and chug away before the UI came up. It'd still continue to do it until you killed its thread in TaskManager.

So, I did what any resonably sane person would do...I killed the folder where IS keeps info on that install. Dead - it won't be bothering me anymore.

Still, I love to find out what IS was trying to do on the reboot :No code in OnReboot() (actually never even got to that function - demonstrated by putting a messageBox in there that never came up); nothing else hanging around(besides the folder). If I could find a way for IS to tell me where it was when it got stuck, I'd feel better about this whole thing, but oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the help Taco

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:44

You're welcome Xitch13 and thanks for sharing. Sounds like one of those times that I'm glad I still use a program-driven model for my setups. wink.gif

Glad you got it working though--even if it is a hack.

user posted image