This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install Failing on Win98 With Error 1406

6 replies to this topic

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 13:14

Full Error:

"Error 1406. Could not write value Folders to key Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact you support personnel."

I read in a newsgroup somewhere that the Win98 registry is smaller than that of NT and 2000 and so there is not enough space to register the installation directories, could this be the case????  I hoping that it is not, how on earth could I evercome this problem other than ripping a load of directories out of my project.

The point at which the install failed, I checked registry and the InProgress key is not there.  

I also checked my .msi in ORCA there are 486 entries in the directory table, about 200 of which seem to be ISWI generated DIR01-DIR200.....the values do look as though they are locations to my project files.

I do have sufficient privilages to access the registry as I have tried as the Administrator, User with full access, etc.

Any ideas, I cant even debug it, as it just fails after the UI sequence.   Ive got a tight deadline on this one, and any help would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.
Dave

(Edited by Dave I at 1:26 pm on Aug. 18, 2001)

Scott H

Scott H
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2001 - 21:36

Dave,

I hit that error in Win9x by setting ALLUSERS=1 (to get the Add/Remove Programs icon to display correctly).

Now, we're just living with the default "Folder" icon...

ScottH

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 08:33

Thanks for your reply Scott.  After a bit more digging around I found that the error was due to the installation trying to write a value that exceeded the 16K limit on Windows 98 machines.

On windows NT, Windows Installer writes the directory table to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders with each directory as a seperate value.  Now on Windows 98 it merges all of the directories into a single value.  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress\Folders.  

As you can imagine this entry is huge particularly with a sizeable installation.  Alas there does not seem to be a solution.

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 16:27

Has anyone found a workaround to the PUBLIC directory problem on Windows 98 I am yet to find a resolution?

Anybody else? Please?

mgama

mgama
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 23:37

So I am guessing you found the past threads on this issue.  Sorry to say I only have 1 true solution, and 1 work around, both of which have been mentioned before.

Solution:  eliminate directory table entries that are not needed (duplicates).

Work around:  Install the product to a shorter installation path.  Eg:  C:\mg\

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 09:15

Thanks for your help guys in the end I managed to find a workaround by creating a post build step which changed uppercase directory names int the form DIR 001 to lowercase meaning that they dont get put in the registry (Directory.Directory, CreateFolder, Component.Directory_ tables.)

Have a Look at the "UPDATE sql statement " thread.

The most amusing thing after numerous posts, a week or so of frustration and FINALLY getting it working.......the higher powers have decided not to support Windows 9x.....*****, ****,*****, ***!!!

Art Middlekauff

Art Middlekauff
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2001 - 23:31

Please note that there is now a solution for this that works with Developer 7.  You can use the ResolveDir utility (http://www.installsi.../ISD1406Fix.exe) to change selected Directory identifiers in your ISM to lower-case.