This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component keypath usage

2 replies to this topic

AntonS

AntonS
  • Full Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 17:38

Hi,

In which occasion I need to create a new component with defined keypath, perhaps sometime a new component must exist without keypath?

I know three uses of a keypath:

1. Self-healing detection
2. Advertising/Install-on-Demand detection
3. User profile fix-up detection (special case of self healing)

In addition I suspect one purpose is to add keypath when component linked with ServiceControl and ServiceStart windows installer tables.

If I need no features like self-healing, advertising or profile fix-up and service installation, need I still to add keypath to my components?

How it must be implemented with Best Practice in mind?

Thank you
Sincerely your,
Anton Spitsyn
http://www.installsite.ru

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 20:05

Help topic "Organizing Applications into Components" gives some guidance on best practice here.
Note that every component has a key path. If you don't explicitly set a file or registry entry as key path, the destination folder of the component will be used as key. This means for instance that deleting that folder would trigger auto repair.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:08

The file set as key path will also determine whether the component will be reinstalled during an upgrade. If the file has a higher version than the existing file the whole component is reinstalled.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 11 August 2004 - 10:09.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul