This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing rights of folders

3 replies to this topic

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 10:53

Hello,

I am using cacls.exe for changing rights to normal user to give them Read and Write permissions on my installed folders.

But I have problem, if user installs my software on German Win2000 then "Users" is translated to "Benutzer" on his PC and Cacls fails. How can I get what "Users" group is called on the PC ? My software can be installed  on Italian PC also.

Please help me.
Devang.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 11:30

I am not familiar with "Cacls".

The normal way of setting rights is the LockPermissions Table.

See Msi Help

Windows Installer
 Installer Database
   Installer Database Reference
     Database Tables
         LockPermissions Table

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 13:53

Hi Ian,

I came to know about cacls.exe from this site only. It is used to change rights on the PC for file or for folder.

The another option you told me is to use LockPermission Table, might have the same issue. If I specify "User" for changing rights and if I install on German win2000. Because "User" is translated to "Benutzer" in German OS.

Devang.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 17:06

Things like Users and Administrators have well known SIDs

eg Users is S-1-5-32-545

You may be able to use this directly or use some function(s) to look up a display name to use.  I do not know the details I have never tried to do this.  Perhaps someone else can help.

For other well know Sids see MSDN Knowledge base article  Q243330