This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Trouble with patch

3 replies to this topic

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 18:37

I have tried every conceivable combination of settings in a patch (except maybe the right ones) - using 2.03 patch wizard, with no success. A patch is created but when run will not update any files. A verbose log file says many things like Component:Absent:Request:null Action:null. Why is this? I've got different product codes and version numbers. Is it because I've changed some components in the package - in this case will a patch ever work or is a complete reinstall the only option?
Ian Murray-Watson

calenkl

calenkl
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 03:31

hello, i've tried to patch using that b4... the only thing is not all updated files are being detected and added into the patch... (only Versionless files)
What i did was a small update, just update some HTM files n DLL files... however, part of the UPDATED HTM files were not detected.... it really sucks....!!

hmmm, u might refer to this topic documented in ISWI Help for more details... "Preparing Packages for Patching"

Hopefully u'll find some ways of doin' this @!!

vijai

vijai
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 09:56

hi,

if you are creating a small update you dont have to change the product code and upgrade code, change on the package code.

See if the dlls/Exes that you are trying to replace via a patch has a higher version

dont change the component code for any of the components

see that reinstallmode=voums ( i use this) , reinstall =ALL doesnt help much, reinstall each and every feature that was installed.

In case you are adding new components dont add them to existing features,create new feature and add the comp. to that feature.

and addlocal that new feature.

hope these points helps you.

rgds

:)
vijai

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 11:36

None of the obvious things work. (Files have correct later version numbers, components have same GUIDS - laboriously checked). (v in voums is redundant in a patch btw).

Product code has to be changed because of new features/components. Some features have been removed - there were always invisible to the user, but have been replaced with others as a better way of organising a complex package with many merge modules and a host of different registry settings depending on language and install type. I have tried without the old features (patch won't run), and with the old features and components as dummies (no files). Patch will then run but does nothing whatever flags are set, caommand line parameters used, and whether "missing files" are included or ignored (and I've not yet found anyone who can make sense of the docs on this subject). On one occasion patch ran, appeared to be doing something, but after running all night was obviously stuck in a loop.

Frankly, the whole business of patching is so arcane, badly documented, and bug-ridden (in ISWI) that we're giving up on the whole thing and opting for a complete reinstall.
Ian Murray-Watson