This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Validation

5 replies to this topic

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 23:21

Hi,
Do you know where ORCA put the file with the messages after validation. I selected "Validate"  and then pushed on the "Copy Results" button. But I could found any files.
Thanks

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 00:52

On the clipboard.

So paste it into your favourite editor.  Usually with Ctlr-V

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 17:37

Thanks, Ian,
I didn't try to check the clipboard. I have a couple of question about the validation. My installation works fine, but I received the validation errors.

1. I have several files which should remove from the system during the upgrading. I put these files in the RemoveFiles table. The validation returns errors for all of them, like this:

ICE03 ERRORInvalid filename/usage of wildcards; Table: RemoveFile, Column: FileName, Key(s): HMCTaskCustomize.ocx

It seems to me the filename is correct. What does it mean and how can I fixed this?

2. I put files to the AppSearch table to search they during the installation and uninstallation. All work fine, but the error is:

ICE03 ERRORInvalid Filename; Table: Signature, Column: FileName, Key(s): COM_Statistics

What is wrong?

3.  I included in the project standard merge modules and received warnings for they, like this:

ICE33 WARNINGReg key Global_Controls_MSCOMCTLOCX_r150.3207D1B9_80E5_11D2_B95D_006097C4DE24 is used in in an unsupported way.  This key need not be written as it already exists in the system.

OR

ICE33 WARNINGReg key Global_Controls_Comdlg32ocx_r20.576D64B0_7413_11D2_B954_006097C4DE24 is used in in an unsupported way. ProgId should be registered via the ProgId table. This entry may overwrite a value created through that table.

Should I worry about this or can ignore they?

4. I have some .ocx files with the "Extract at Build" option. I don't  set in the Advanced Settings tables (ProgID, ....) anything manually. The warning is:

ICE33 WARNINGReg key Registry1101_O is used in in an unsupported way. This AppID named value should be registered in the AppId table. This entry may overwrite a value created through that table.

What should I do?

I would like to make our product strongly and would be great appreciated if anybody could answer on my questions.
Thanks,

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 18:07

I have a lot of these Warning and Errors, too. In the beginning I tried to get rid of all of them. But it seems to be impossible, some of these messages are generated due to errors in Orca.

Your messages with "Invalid Filename" (1 & 2) seem to result of the unability of Orca to work with long filenames in all situations. I have some of them, too. When I changed these files to short names the errors disappeared.

And with 3 & 4 I have to say, that Orca is right. AppIDs should be installed via AppID table, same for ProgIDs/ProgID table. But how to solve if ISWi's extract at build feature doesn't put it to the right table? And, as you can see in your second ICE33 warning (point 3) Microsoft itself doesn't follow the own rules .....

I think there is no way to build really clean setups, as long as the tools don't work alright. So have a look for really bad things in the Errors/warnings and ignore the rest. I don't know if it's possible to get MS's logo with that way of working, but how to fix with bad MSMs from Microsoft?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 23:45

ICE03 is complaining that you have not supplied a short file name.  The installer expects a short file name alternative whenever a longfile name is given.  So you need to specify something like

hmctas~1.ocx|HMCTaskCustomize.ocx

for the filename.  hmctas~1.ocx is not necesarily the short name you can specify any short name you lilke.  For instance in one of my products I have defined  a default dir name in the directory table as

cdserve|CDserve Client

which is gives a more attractive short name if it is required.

As for the others.  Its annoying when ms merge modules have warnings in them but we just have to live with them.  (Will they fail logo validation for them ??? :-))

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 14:06

Thanks guys. It is clear for me now.