This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Which way to go?

4 replies to this topic

chopper

chopper
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 13:27

Hi,

I've just started using installshield 11 as my company has decided that a professional install is the way forward!

Basically I need to check for running programs, install vb6 exes (moving to .net in the near future), get logon details for multiple SQL servers, generate registry keys and odbc connections and then run SQL scripts against existing databases based upon the logon details (and conditions) gathered.

Basically I need to know if MSI is the way forward?

ChrisL

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 13:36

MSI is a "newer" technology than InstallScript (see your cross-posts) and it's endorsed by Microsoft so in general I would use MSI for new projects. However there are a few things that InstallScript can do better than MSI, but that depends on your requirements.

"InstallScript MSI" is a combination of the two technologies and should be avoided bacause it causes a couple of problems.

chopper

chopper
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 13:41

Basically I don't want to invest the time in one particular type ..... I take it that using MSI I can call an external DLL or VB exe to execute SQL scripts on a Server ... is this quite a simple process?

What sort of things are limited when using developing an MSI? (compared to installscript)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:44

I take it that using MSI I can call an external DLL or VB exe to execute SQL scripts on a Server

You can call VBScript, JScript, DLLs, or EXEs as custom actions. In general you need to create these yourself. For SQL scripts however InstallShield alsready includes a set of custom actions and a special view in the IDE to configure SQL connections and scripts.

What sort of things are limited when using developing an MSI? (compared to installscript)

One thing that InstallScript can do much better than MSI is installing multiple instances of your application on the same computer (if that's a requirement for you).
Using a customized user interface (i.e. using controls or behaviours that MSI doesn't support) is easier in script.

chopper

chopper
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:00

Cheers for that Stefan ... will go with installscript for now and then look at moving to MSI in the future. As for the installshield SQL functionality ... I'm having to check for an existing database - get the login method - get paramaters from the database (and check if replication is being used)... to make decisions on which scripts to run (the scripts are stored in a set format and must be run by folder in a particular sequence)... and make a decision wether to continue or abort if the script runs.... and log the errors to a file if any are found .... so have decided to go down the vb app route as I'm not quite sure that installshield can do all the above