This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Feature and GPO

3 replies to this topic

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 17:57

I have two features in my product. One of the features has just one component, a dll. During normal install it properly gets installed. During a pusg using GPO, this feature doesn't get installed. Looking at the log, the feature is listed as below:

Feature: myfeature; Installed: Advertise; Request: NULL; Action: NULL

I have no idea request and action both get nulled. Any clues? If I manually copy the single dll and do a regsvr32 it properly gets registered for the same user.

Thanks

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 21:44

If the package is assigned to the user, the product will be advertized. Therefore it will appear to be present, but the files will be installed on demand.
But: When something from your product in started, only the necessary features will be installed on demand. If a program needs components connected to different features, that program must ask Windows Installer to install these features.

Further, try validating your package to see if it has any errors.

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:26

Zweitze,

Thanks for the quick response. The feature that is not getting installed is a browser plug-in. There is no way for the user to activate it since no icon or menu options appear on the user's desktop to activate it. The dll that is attached to feature is not even getting copied to the local machine (obviously since the feature is not installed).

- How can I force the feature to be installed? Can I make it the child of the other feature? If yes, what are the disadvantages of that approach?

- I tried playing with the install level with no success. Can I force the feature to be installed using the install level property?

Any other possibilities? Thanks

K. Ramesh

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:37

The suggestion given by Ian in the following posting on how to use a custom action to selectively add/remove features helped me solve the problem:

http://forum.install...hl=installlevel

After adding a couple of custom actions as suggessted by Ian in that posting, my feature properly gets installed during a GPO push.

Thanks Ian!