This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Locked Files

3 replies to this topic

bilbo

bilbo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 16:36

Hello,
I have a very SERIOUS problem with InstallShield 7.01 or 11.5. First of all OnFileLocked() is not triggered if a file on the network is locked by another user. OnFileError() is triggered instead and the folks at InstallShield are aware of this problem. However this is not the main issue. The real problem is once a file locked situation is encountered the file is deleted on the network and the system tries to replace it by rebooting which is of course useless since it's a network file and locked by other user(s).

The result is that depending on the network, the access to the file is denied (therefore all subsequent users are denied running the file) and this is a HUGE problematic side effect for an install.

Does anyone know of a way to avoid the install program attempting to delete the file if it is locked and simply ignore that particular file operation and move to the next file?

This is a very important fix for users that need to install on networks where multiple files can be locked and don't want to adversely affect other users.

Thank you,
Al

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 19:13

Did you try setting the "potentially locked" property to false? Not sure what the effect might be...
Or, did you try calling Is(FILE_LOCKED, ...) maybe this gives better results.

bilbo

bilbo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 19:26

Dear Stefan,
Thank you so much for responding to my posting.

I tried changing the "Potentially Locked" setting with no effect. I haven't used IS(FILE_LOCKED) cause I don't really see how that will correct the problem short of me checking for each file in every component to see if they are locked or not and handling at that point. It's a very cumbersome (and non-elegant) solution and it's also not even totally accurate.

Thanks again,
Al

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:24

It's a very cumbersome (and non-elegant) solution

It's a suggestion that you could try as a workaround. But if you find a smarter solution... wink.gif