This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI package and quiet mode

5 replies to this topic

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 17:04

Hello,

does someone knows, why it's absolutely necessary, that MSI packages are running in quiet mode?
I would like to decide the mode myself.

Regards
Johannes

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:38

I don't understand the question. MSI packages typically show a user interface, but have a command line option to run in silent mode.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 17:01

Hello Stefan,

I'm doing something wrong.
I only want to start a simple msi from a simple suite.
I can' see the UI of the basic MSI.
The next problem is, I don't find the logfile.

Regards
Johannes

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:12

The /l command-line option cannot be passed to the package to generate a log file. If you want to log the installation, use either the logging system policy, or the MsiLogging property.

Note that a Suite installation always launches .msi packages silently. Therefore, it is not necessary to pass a command-line parameter that hides the user interface of the .msi package.

I guess that explains the problems you are seeing. I don't know if this has changed in IS 2012 Spring version or if there's a workaround (other than using a .exe instead of a .msi)

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:24

Do you understand, why Suites always launch .msi packages silently?
I don't want to make around all MSIs an EXE launcher with all the additional efforts.

Edited by Johannes John, 04 September 2012 - 14:26.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:25

I guess the idea is to have a unified user interface in the Suite, and therefore suppress the UIs of the packages, to create a seamless user experience.