This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows installer keeps appearing

1 reply to this topic

Mikey436

Mikey436
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 18:43

I've created an installation package with WinInstall 2000- Originally the package was installed from a server called XG-1, since the package has been moved to a new server called Push1.  I've got a user who installed a package when it was located on XG-1 now whenever an MS app is launched it wants to reinstall the package from XG-1.  The package has been installed and works but she keeps getting the installer.  Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?  I've removed and reinstalled- from the new location- the package but cannot seem to resolve the issue.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 20:04

Greetings,

You need to turn on the installation logging on the machine that is continuously re-running the installer.  Here is the registry entry you will need to create to turn the logging on.  Make sure when you have finished resolving the issue that you remove this registry key or else install logging will go on forever and it greatly slows down the process of installing or uninstalling anything MSI.  Just cut this text out, paste it into a text file and rename it with a .reg extension.  Then double click on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="voicewarmup"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will create a .log file with the filename format of MSI?????.log in the currently logged on users TEMP directory.  It contains boat loads of information both useful and useless, "at least to me!".  It should help you figure out what files are getting overwritten and replaced everytime.

Good Luck

Kurt Schneider