This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

HKCU Info Removed for non-Installing users..

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 23:01

Hi all,

I'm wondering when an application is removed by the original, installing user, are HKCU keys written during repair for non-installing users removed.

We use Major Upgrades to push our updates/upgrades and I'm wondering why the repair is always triggered for non-installing users after upgrade. I'm not saying this is a bad thing for us as new user information in existing components would be populated/installed/written, etc. But, if there were no changes, I wouldn't expect a repair unless something is ripped out for these users when the installing Admin removes the product.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 17:59

No, those HKCU entries for users other than the one running the uninstall shoiuld be left behind. To diagnose the problem try http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 20:18

That's what I figured - the entries should stay.

I have used the event viewer and understand why the repair takes place. I'm not concerned that there is a repair when a non-installling user logs in. Actually I kind of like it because any user specific changes/additions - .ini information is propogated to the non-installing users .ini file, for example, during the repair.

Actually, I would like for the repair to continue. That is why I asked the question. I would think that once user specific stuff is written during repair, that would stay following uninstall by the installing user through our Major Upgrades. When the new version is installed, if no new user specific key items were added, I wouldn't expect a repair now for the non-installer.

However, even though we hadn't changed user key items for quite some time, a repair was always triggered after upgrade. I guess, what I'll have to do is, if we need a repair to occur because we've changed some key value or added something to a user specific .ini file is I'll have to add a new HKCU registry key to hold something like the version or some other information. This way a repair would be triggered.

If anyone can follow that laugh.gif