This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade problem on InstallShield 10.5

5 replies to this topic

Gorsoun

Gorsoun
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 13:58

Hi All.
I have a problem with minor upgrade on InstallShield 10.5
I have two versions of my product 8.0.1180 and 8.01192.
The files have a versions according to numbers.
If I change the PackageCode, I see the message "This setup will perform an upgrade ...", but it not overwrite files.
I the log file Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 TRANSFORMS=1033.MST

If I does not change a PackageCode, my installation enter to the Maintenance Mode (Change, Repair, Remove dialog), and if I check Repair, it overwrite all files.
ReinstallModeText=vomus
I the log file Command Line: TRANSFORMS=1033.MST SETUPEXEDIR=J:\....

Thanks,
Robert.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 16:25

Changing the PackageCode is the right thing to do.
In the log look for SELMGR errors.

Gorsoun

Gorsoun
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 15:58

Hi Stefan.
Thank you for your answer.
You are right. I found the SELMGR errors.
It looks so:

MSI © (E8:FC) [16:12:03:992]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{7844345D-77EE-4316-9BFB-C6AFBB856798}' is registered to feature '<ComponentName>', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (E8:FC) [16:12:03:992]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

But i can't find this ComponentId in the old and in the new project versions.
The MSIPackageDiff has not shown any changes in the structure too.
Can you explain it?

Thanks,
Robert.

Edited by Gorsoun, 25 September 2006 - 16:15.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 16:38

Does the feature name give you any clue?
Double check again, looking at the final .msi file, not the project file. Open the resulting .msi file of the old version with Orca and look for the guid in the component table and in the FeatureComponent table.

Windows Installer doesn't make these GUID and feature name up. It must be in there somewhere (it might be coming from a merge module)

Gorsoun

Gorsoun
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 14:33

Hi Stefan.
You are right again.

I've found in the every version of output of MSI project unknown components with name composed from underscore+GUID.
In the ISM project (source) these components do not exist.
I've checked both in the ORCA.
Our project does not create a components dynamically.
When I clear these components from previous project and from next project manually via ORCA, it works.

What do you think about that?
Maybe it is side effect, but from what action?

Thanks,
Robert.

Edited by Gorsoun, 26 September 2006 - 14:35.

Gorsoun

Gorsoun
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 14:51

Hi.
The way windows installer works is by creating at least one component for each folder that you are installing. If you use Install Shield and create a dynamic linked folder that includes sub folders, then when you build the project you will get an extra component for each subfolder that install shield has found. Install Shield worked like this since version 7.0. These components will not be accessible in the component area, or via the direct editor, you can only see them after viewing the built MSI file.