This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is there any limitation to SecureCustomProperties

4 replies to this topic

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:51

Hi everyone,

I just could not find anything related to it.
What is the maximum allowed length that can be passed to SecureCustomProperties? I mean what if I pass some 50 property names to it?

ankur tyagi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 22:04

As far as I know there's no fixed limit.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:17

I don't know the limit either, but I assume that since an MSI file is really a SQL database wrapped in a COM structured storage file that the limitation would be imposed by the field limitations of SQL databases for whatever data type the field uses - which in this case would seem to be string. Exactly what that limit would be I don't know, but I am guessing at least 8000 characters.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:22

What I found on MSDN is
The Windows Installer does not actually use the specified column size to limit the size of the string that can be entered into a string column field. However, some authoring tools do use the specified column size to limit the size of a valid string. It is recommended that strings entered into any column meet the specified size requirement.

So, you are right. MSI does not impose any limitation on size of any column of any table. But tools like InstallShield, InstallAware, WISE or may be WIX too impose such limitations.
  ankur tyagi

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:32

The size specifications at that link relate to exported idt files (tables stored as files). I would still think the actual database under the hood will have a max value allowed, but it is probably way larger than you would ever be able to fill up.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul