This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

an issue about minor upgrade to major upgrade

3 replies to this topic

christin_zy

christin_zy
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:56

Scenario description:

step:
1. make an original package 1.0.1 and install it.
2. create a minor upgrade 1.0.2 of package 1.0.1 and install it. (installation an uninstallation is successful)
3. create a major upgrade 1.1.1 based on minor upgrade 1.0.2 and install it.
Error: When i uninstall the major upgrade 1.1.1, many component files couldn't be removed.

If I create a major upgrade 1.1.1 based on the original package 1.0.1 and install it, it will generate two versions of the same product in the add/remove programs.

So what can i make a major upgrade after a minor upgrade and enable its installation and uninstallation is correctly?

Best regards
Christin

Edited by christin_zy, 14 April 2009 - 10:58.

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:29

Hello Christian,

When i uninstall the major upgrade 1.1.1, many component files couldn't be removed.

Make sure that the components that are not removed on uninstallation are not marked as permanent.

If I create a major upgrade 1.1.1 based on the original package 1.0.1 and install it, it will generate two versions of the same product in the add/remove programs.

Are you sure you are not changing the Product code? In the above statement, you mean to say that 2 versions of the product are installer or just the add remove program entry remains of the older version?

Any info from log file?

Regards,
Vijay

christin_zy

christin_zy
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:41

1. installation process : 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 -> 1.1.1
Actually i have generated a new product code for the major upgrade 1.1.1 and its latest package is set the minor upgrade 1.0.1 and i doesn't set the pemanent of components to yes.

Theoretically, major upgrade will uninstall the 1.0.1 and then install 1.1.1.

Why I uninstall the major upgrade1.1.1, many files couldn't be removed and these files' registry will still remain under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls?

Can you tell me to how to resolve the problem?

Edited by christin_zy, 15 April 2009 - 16:22.

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 13:07

Hi,
To create major upgrade 1.1.1 for the product 1.0.2 , we need to follow the following steps:

1. Product code for 1.1.1 should be different to 1.0.2
2. Product name for 1.1.1 shouldbe different from 1.0.2
3. Package code for 1.1.1. should be different from 1.0.2
4. In Install shield IDE, Tools->Preferences->Uninstall before installation should be enabled. Please find the attached screenshot of it.
5. Create an upgrade item in the Media column

I believe that the above FIVE points are sufficient in creating major upgrade for a product.

As you have mentioned that 1.0.2 is a minor upgrade to 1.0.1 , then focus on creating major upgrade for 1.0.1. With which your 1.1.1 upgrades both 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 releases.

For that you can replace 1.0.2 with 1.0.1 in the above five points.

Attached Images

• Install.JPG

Edited by vPanchumarthi, 16 April 2009 - 13:08.