This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Stopping services

4 replies to this topic

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 14:23

I have an installation that installs several NT services into the target machine. Normally these would be shut down when the user is uninstalling, but if that is not the case then the Remove dialog simply hangs when it gets to the "Stopping services" stage. It seems it cannot stop the services in order to remove them.

I have tried adding a custom action running some script to detect if the services are running (with FindWindow) and then shut them down by SendMessage. However, it simply fails to find them. I set the command to look for windows of the class name given as what appears in the "Processes" window of Task manager when they are running; but that seems to be wrong.

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 23:21

Any reason you are not using the "ServiceControl" table?
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:52

I already have "Uninstall Stop" and "Uninstall Delete" set to "Yes" in the Control NT Events for the relevant components. So it would seem that is not enough.

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 00:27

Have you tried manually stopping the services, it sounds like they might be doing something lengthy and or hanging. My guess is that any attempt manual or other will fail (or take a length period).

What "Wait" parameter are you using?

Also I don't know IS but if are you sure the service you are specifying is correct, if possible change its name to something non-existant and see if you have the same effect.

Hopefully one of the above things will help you sort it out.

Don't have the "services" applet open when testing (its flakey)...

Bye,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Jochen

Jochen
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:09

Hi Jonathan,

if the InstallShield functions won't work why don't you try to use the script sample from here.

It works fine in IS6.x and should also work in IS7/8.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jochen