This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to create an installer that installs other applications?

2 replies to this topic

David Kappler

David Kappler
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 18:22

Hello,

I am very new to the whole install shield / windows installer process.  In fact this work was just thrust upon me, funny thing about jobs:)  

I was just given a task to create an installer that prompts the user to install several different manufacturers applications.  

What approach should I take to do this?  I need to start the installer, prompt the user to enter the disk for the first application, after that application is installed I must repeat the process for a couple more applications.  

Is this possible?

If so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
David

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 18:53

David,

I was tasked with the same type of thing at some point in time.  My solution was as follows:

I created and installation that basically consisted of a VB Form with a bunch of buttons.  Each button installed a different app from the Suite of Apps.  Then I just created components for the compiled setups for the suite of apps.  What I ended up with was an installation that put installations in specific places and the VB app controlled which ones got installed.  

Hope this gives you a start.

Kurt Schneider

David Kappler

David Kappler
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 20:13

Kurt,

Thanks for the info.  I will definately try this approach.  Im sure I will have more questions but this is a good start.  

Thanks again,
David Kappler