This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

major upgrade

1 reply to this topic

john.xiong

john.xiong
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:17

i want to do a major upgrade with installshield x,and it works well when i changed the product code,and when i install the latest version,it remove the previous version,
the question is ,when installed the latest version,i install the previous version,it also can install ,why>
thanks

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 17:48

Major upgrades involve a new product code. Anything with a different product code can coexist on a device.

When you create the Major upgrade, it creates an entry in the upgrade table. Windows Installer uses this to check for previous versions to upgrade.

When you reinstall the previous version, there is a different product code and nothing telling the installer service that it is incompatable with the new version.

Actually, I think you bring up a good point. This seems to be a flaw in the installer service. If I think something should be a major upgrade, it is because I don't want the old version coexisting. A simple reinstall of the old version should not work IMO.