This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 2749 while patching

4 replies to this topic

dalchri@hotmail.com

dalchri@hotmail.com
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 16:18

I have a product that has 3 versions:

Version 3.0
Version 3.1.1
Version 3.1.2

I tested by installing version 3.1.1. Then I installed the patch by using:

msiexec /p C:\Patch.msp /qb! REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /l C:\Install.log

The first time I do this, I get the error message 2749. It indicates that the installer cannot patch because it was expecting version 3.0 to be installed. Instead it found version 3.1.1.

Next I run the installed program and I get a Windows installer progress window. Nothing happens and version 3.1.1 of the program runs.

Finally I apply the patch a second time, it is fine. I run the program and version 3.1.2 runs as it should.

This behavior would be very convoluted for my users. They would have to apply the upgrade. Restart the program, and then apply the upgrade again.

Why does Windows Installer expect that version 3.0 is installed the first time that I apply the patch?

dalchri@hotmail.com

dalchri@hotmail.com
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 16:40

I get a similar error while patching version 3.0

The error is still 2749, but this time Windows Installer is expecting version 3.1.1 to be installed, instead it found version 3.1.2.

So it's almost like no matter what, Windows Installer is trying to apply both transforms (3.0->3.1.2 and 3.1.1->3.1.2).

I placed both .msi references in the TargetImages table pointing to the same Upgraded row in the UpgradedImages table. That's right isn't it?

dalchri@hotmail.com

dalchri@hotmail.com
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 19:11

It does not appear to have anything to do with error 2749. I removed one of the UpgradeImages such that the only upgrade transform was version 3.1.1 -> 3.1.2.

Applying the patch still does not work the first time. There is no error 2749. I have to run the program once, then apply the patch again.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:53

Patching is a long story. Your informations are to low to specify the correct solution or answer. The following informations were helpfully:
- The kind of patches (Small or Minor)
- Version of patches (2.0 or 3.0)
- If 3.0, content of the MsiPatchSequenceTable
- If 3.0, why did you using the 2.0 command line to apply patches
- How are the patches created?
- e.g.
There's a whitepaper describing patch sequencing with MSI 3.0.
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

dalchri@hotmail.com

dalchri@hotmail.com
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 13:29

Thanks for the feedback. It's embarrasing, I've been through this before. The problem is that I needed to change the product code because I added/removed components. I believe that this makes it a major upgrade in Windows Installer terminology.

I'm using version 2.0 with Visual Studio Installer as the msi authoring tool and msimsp as the patch creation tool.

Everything is working but with a new problem which needs a new thread.