This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing COM+ packages

2 replies to this topic

MrSensitive

MrSensitive
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 14:46

A bit puzzling..

all aspects of installshield allow you to create dynamic file links.
but for COM+ servers, this apparently does not work..

I wondering how I can streamline updates in COM+ packages??

now I need to create the COM+ package on mu develoment machine andrecreate the COM+ components in installshield.

I tried to link the components dynamically to the loation on the release folder. but apparently the CLSID's and typelibs don't get updated??

Am I going at this the wrong way? the resto of the installation, consisting of .NET componentes, com components websites, applicationpools, databases etc can all be built using dynamic file links.

many thanks for a reply..

MrSensitive

MrSensitive
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:49

anyone?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 13:06

You should not use dynamic file linking for any components if you plan to update the setup at a later time with a minor or major upgrade. Installshield has a feature that allows you to sync the component GUID's between two releases, but in my experience this does not work reliably.

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to revert to use statically linked components - preferably one component per file unless you have a lot of files to install.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul