This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CD Key or Serial Number - How to set the tab order

7 replies to this topic

mrgandra

mrgandra
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 18:10

Hi

I have custom Dialog box which has 6 Edit boxes with max.length of 5 characters each. When I reach the max length(5) in one edit box it does not automatically set focus to next edit box. Does anyone know how we can do that. I am using the Basic MSI Project and the using the custom dialog created using the dialog editor.

bottom line is the user should enter the serial number in the boxes without using the tab to move to next edit box.

If anyone has info on custom Dialogs which does this please post them.

Thanks
Gandra M

Attached Files

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 18:14

This won't help you, but just want to mention that serial keys should not be entered into and validated by the MSI. The reason is that MSI is an open format, and hence it will be easy for hackers to get hold of your license validation binary and crack it. It would be somewhat safer to do the license key entry in the application itself. This would also give you more control of the entry of the key, as well as be better for large scale deployment (often license entry dialogs in setups are buggy and causes problems for silent deployment).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HermioneJJ

HermioneJJ
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:14

Hi, you can use MaskedEdit Control, with which ou can associate a string value property by entering the property name into the Property, and you can create a template for user entry of information, such as following:
<????-?????-?????-?????-?????-?????>
? means this character can be an alternate character that enables the mask to control the way a custom action differentiates fields.

For more detail you can refer th Help Library of IS.

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:49

Hello Gandra,

I need some help from you. Long back you posted on query in forum, find above message. Now am facing the same problem as above. how can i validate the key value at the time of installation....So can you tell me detail steps for these.

I want how to validate product license key in msi project. Its very urgent for my installer.

So kindly tell me the procedure how to do that......

I am from bangalore(my number 09886560661).
My mail id raghuramreddym@gmail.com .
If possible give a your contact number
i will callup you. But its very urgent task.

Thanks in advace
Raghu.

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:53

Hello Gandra,

I need some help from you. Long back you posted on query in forum, find above message. Now am facing the same problem as above. how can i validate the key value at the time of installation....So can you tell me detail steps for these.

I want how to validate product license key in msi project. Its very urgent for my installer.

So kindly tell me the procedure how to do that......

I am from bangalore(my number 09886560661).
My mail id raghuramreddym@gmail.com .
If possible give a your contact number
i will callup you. But its very urgent task.

Thanks in advace
Raghu.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:11

You could use a DLL custom action to validate the number. Note that such a check can be easily removed so you should also verify the serial number in your application itself.

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:24

Thanks Stefan for your reply,

I created one masked edit field. now I want to validate serial key. Can you tell me how to create CA dll. Please send me an example because am a beginner in installshield.

Can you give me detail procedure for each step.. I don't know how to add that dll. So kindly provide me those details .
And one morething how to verify the serial number in my application itself

Note: Send any attach document...for those details.

Thank you very much
Raghu.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:14

Sample code for a DLL custom action can be found at http://codeproject.c...ustomaction.asp for instance.
Then you create an entry in the Custom Action view for your DLL function. You can call this custom action using a DoAction event on the "Next" button of your dialog. You custom action would set a property to indicate the result of the validation. Your setup would move to the next dialog, or display an error message, depending on this property.

To protect your application you could use Macrovision's activation functionality, or any other commercial tool, or any of the sample code that's available on the web, like http://www.codeproje...wactivation.asp . Of course you must evaluate thoroughly how secure these methods are.

I'm sorry but this is not the right place for white paper sized descriptions. You may want to attend a training course, or at least read the documentation and tutorials, and maybe also some book, to get started.