This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent uninstall of 5.5 Pro-based install

2 replies to this topic

dGabay

dGabay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 19:21

Hi,
We are authoring a DevStudio install from scratch. One of the requirements is that it must uninstall the previous version of the application which used InstallShield 5.5 Professional. I can get it to uninstall by using the custom action wizard and specifying the info from the uninstall key. My question is, where in the UI or installation sequence should I put my uninstall action, and how would I detect whether or not the previous version is even there? I'm really new to DevStudio, but have some pro 5.5 experience. Thanks in advance...

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:09

Have a look at using the AppSearch table to detect your old install. You can then set a propert for this, and display to the user that they have an old install that you will remove.

If your new install needs information from the old install then you will have to wait until the end of the install to remove the old one. I would also probably wait until the end of the new install before removing the old install. This makes sure that the user does not end up with no product installed (if new one fails).

dGabay

dGabay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 17:59

Thank you for the good advice. That saves me some missteps.