This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDE user paths

6 replies to this topic

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 15:15

I am new to installshield and have only just started looking into MSIs, I haven't looked at InstallScripts yet.

Im using DevStudio 9 and have a project that installs MSDE (the free version of SQL server minus the admin tools).
Im currently using the wizard, which allows me to change the path of where the MSDE database folder will be, but it only seems to be at design time of the installer.

I'd like the user to be able to select where the MSDE database folder will be.

Is this possible using a standard MSI or do I need to delve into Installscript to have that flexability?

On the offchance someone knows how to do it, any help would be much appreciated. If not, a simpel yes/no to whether it can be done will do.

Regards,

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 20:49

I think oyu can use a property in square brackets there, e.g. [DATABASEFOLDER]. Add a dialog with an edit field that sets this property so users can change it.

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 17:16

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-04-15 20:49)
I think oyu can use a property in square brackets there, e.g. [DATABASEFOLDER]. Add a dialog with an edit field that sets this property so users can change it.

Sorry for the delay, i've been on my hols.

Thanks for the tip, I will try and give it a go. In the mean time, will I need to set up the variable anywhere at all? (the bit in brackets). Im sure I saw where to do that before I went away, but I can't seem to find it now rolleyes.gif

Many thanks for your tip again smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 18:18

Typically you would let the user set this property in a dialog.

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:51

Before trying to create a custom dialog, I tried setting the data directory to the install directory, namely [INSTALLDIR]

This returns the error:

Error 1606. Could not access network location MSSQL$TEST\

Where Test is the instance name I have entered for the MSDE install

Has anyone got an example of setting the parameters for an install of MSDE, or getting it to install without any default databases (i.e. master).

I don't think the latter is possible, but as i'll be adding the database in later, if I could get it to install with no databases at all, then I wouldnt need to set the data directory smile.gif

saeta119

saeta119
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 22:09

using installshield dev 9 and getting the latest msde object (installshield msde 2000 object for NT platforms) you can access its properties and change the location as of where to install your MSDE instance, unfortunately it cannot be done at run time.

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 23:31

Even I am working on a similar issue. Currently I am not providing the user any flexibility on where it wants MSDE installed. I am directly copying onto the C:\Program Files\....

As the user's are running out of space on C drive or also having less disk space on C drive, we want to give the user to have an option on where he wants his MSDE installed.

Do you guys have any suggestions/advices on this ???