This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Server 2003?

8 replies to this topic

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 16:28

Does anyone know where this dialog is coming from? I am using DevStudio 9 Basic MSI (with InstallScript Custom Actions and West language Pack) and when we execute the Setup.exe on a Win2003 Server system we a dialog that I have no idea where it is coming from or what launches it. See StrangeDialog.jpg attached.

Thanks,
Jim

Attached Images

• StrangeDialog.JPG

ConfigControl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 19:42

Moving question to Basic MSI forum

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 19:44

I've never seen this but it doesn't look like a InstallShield dialog. Perhaps it's coming from the OS (terminal server related maybe?)

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:03

Maybe it is a terminal server that indicates it is in installation mode, and clicking next will end this mode?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 13:33

I would like to add to this topic that the strange dialog comes up depending on how the setup.exe is launched.

If I launch the setup.exe by clicking on it with the mouse the strange dialog comes up.

If I launch the setup.exe by calling it via a VB splash screen (using the shell() function).

Anyone else experience this?

Just wondering because this happens on Windows Server 2003 OS with setup.exe built by both IPWI v2.03 and DevStudio v9

ConfigControl

Neo

Neo
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 14:55

I have noticed this dialog too. It seems to be an internal Windows 2003 dialog that pops up when a setup is run. I havent figured how to get rid of it.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:26

Maybe related to the option to run the setup as a different user (Administrator)?

Jochen

Jochen
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:12

Hi,

this dialog is normal on any Windows OS with terminal services enabled. The usual way to install software on terminal servers is to use "Add/Remove Software" in the control panel because terminal servers need to be switched to installation mode to install software correctly (IMHO to deploy the software to all users connected to this terminal server).

For more information you may look here: How to Install Applications on a Windows Terminal Server
or here:
Admin dialogs on Windows 2003 64 bit OS

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jochen

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 19:17

Thanks for the post. I am now able to get all of my setups to run ok if the setup was developed using DevStudio 9. However, the setups I developed previouly under IPWI v2.03 crash if I have a deferred custom action (InstallScript) in the execute sequence. I am going to guess that maybe the the v2.03 InstallScript engine is not compatible with Server 2003 with Terminal server installed.

Jim
ConfigControl