This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Administrative Setup inside Setup

3 replies to this topic

halikkat

halikkat
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 13:35

Hi,

I am trying to produce a setup that runs multiple administrative setups with administrative configuration. I tried nested installation, but there were several probelms....

How can I produce a setup that works ?

Description what I am trying to do:

1. Start the Main Setup
2. Run several Setups with administrative configuration.
3. After running those setups Finish the Main Setup.

Goal: I would like to have one product in Add/Remove programs (Main Setup) that includes all setups.

Is the only answer Repackager?

Is this even possible?
Please, Help

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 16:33

Are you trying to run an administrative install of a second MSI in your Setup? I managed to do that, but *only* with a CA type 23: this means that the second MSI must be in the same folder as the main MSI.

Make sure you include
ACTION="ADMIN"
on the command line of the CA. And don't forget TARGETDIR.

For an alternative, include all files (of the second MSI) in your main install...

halikkat

halikkat
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:33

QUOTE (Zweitze @ 2005-06-30 16:33)
Are you trying to run an administrative install of a second MSI in your Setup? I managed to do that, but *only* with a CA type 23: this means that the second MSI must be in the same folder as the main MSI.

Make sure you include
ACTION="ADMIN"
on the command line of the CA. And don't forget TARGETDIR.

For an alternative, include all files (of the second MSI) in your main install...

Yes, that is what I am trying to do.

My problem is that I have the Main setup release made with opiton that compresses files to cabinet file and those 5 other setups also.

I read some articles and forum posts about nested installation and found out that setups must be compressed to one msi file that includes everything (cabinet files and so on).

So I can't put those 5 other setups to same folder as the Main MSI.

Is the only solution to make 5 releases with opiton that compresses everything to one MSI file ???

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:43

Indeed, my experience is with MSIs with files packed into them. I also read complaints about CA23, the MSI-file must be located in the same folder as the parent MSI (it cannot be located in a subfolder).
Combining these facts, I can imagine conflicts in CAB files, especially when they're all called "Data.cab". Still, it should be possible to have one MSI with an external CAB file - especially the parent MSI.

If the complaints about child MSIs in subfolders is false, I don't see any problem. Should be worth an attempt, don't you agree?