This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to change Version# of SetUp.exe

8 replies to this topic

isaacc

isaacc
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 14:11

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I cant figure out how to change the version number of the SetUp.exe that I create.
The idea is to be better able to keep track of what version of dlls and exe are contained within each version of a certain build.
I have looked through all the project and build settings menus, and can only find options for editing the version of my product. Does anyone know how I can change the version of the Setup.exe that is created  ???
Thank you in advance.

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 14:30

Hello,

the setup.exe will always be the same!, only setup.inx reflects changes in your script. So it does not make sense to have setup.exe's version number modified.

All of your needed information is contained in the .hdr file which can be opened only in the cab file viewer tool of InstallShield. There you will see all files (those from the InstallShield engine as well as all your own files) with their version number.

You can compare the contents of the .hdr files to keep track with changes. But I don't know of any tool to just show the differences between them.

Eberhard

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 14:56

There are two things that I do to help keep track of what build is incorporated into my installations.

First, during the beta stages, I report the build number in the title bar (i.e. <ProductName> Release <Version> (Build <Number>) BETA).

Secondly, I save off the build number to our HKLM portion of the registry.

Hope it helps.
user posted image

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 06:32

Well, there's still another thing to keep you informed of what was put into an installation: your medium's report file of your build run. It contains names and versions of all of your files. Its main advantage: it's a pure ASCII file (but rather long).

Eberhard

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 15:16

Yeah, that build report is also a great file to reference as well.

I wasn't sure what isaacc's true intentions were, so I wasn't exactly what answers I should give.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 16:18

If you package your setup into a single self-extracting setup.exe you can set the version info of that file.

Eagle

Eagle
  • Full Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 16:04

How can I do that?

Thanks
Ciao Thomas

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 16:31

I believe this is an option in PackageForTheWeb version 4. It's included on your InstallShield cd or can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.installshield.com/pftw

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 20:06

Yeah, Version is an explicit field in the PFTW wizard/project and is stored/accessible in the file properties under Product Version.
user posted image