This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing Features Previously Not Marked for Install via SILENT Maint

1 reply to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 16:55

Hi all,

I would like to be able to initiate a Maintenance Install (Change) silently where features that are newly detected as needed are installed. I've tried

msiexec /i /qb! "<path to>\My.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus

Let me further explain what I would hope I can do from the command line. We have a feature or two that install conditionally based on the presence of another third party app. Now, if our app is installed before they install the third party app, our related pieces, Feature(s) will not get installed. So, the user then has to undertake a maintenance install (Modify/"Change"). This is all working great if run through the UI.

I added an AddLocal entry on the Mnt Type dialog's Next button, which then shows the Feature(s) in question are set to be installed (conditions met) when the feature selection dialog is displayed.

The only problem is that many of our customers rely on our update utility that will upgrade our app, but it does so silently.

I was hoping there was a way to run the silent reinstall or maintenance install, the missing Feature(s) would be detected as needed and would install without having to run through the UI. Without the UI, however, I'm not hitting my AddLocal directions from the Next button.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish installing the features not previously installed due to the lack of the third party app silently? Can I create some type of action(s) that if the Feature conditions are met, pass it through AddLocal. If I do it this way I think I might have to resolve all of the Features set to install and list them, comma delimited or something like that, in AddLocal. ??

So, in short, our app installed before third party app, the detection of which is used as Feature condition.
User installs third party app and now needs to get our associated pieces on the machine.

How can I add the previously skipped Feature silently from the command line?

We do NOT want to use the presence or lack of the third party app as a Launch Condition to prevent the install entirely.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 21:52

I think the REINSTALL only works on features previously installed and will not install new.