This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add new components to an existing installation

1 reply to this topic

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 13:33

Hi,

I would like to add some new components to an existing installation by using update. problem is that the new components are being added only when the windows installer version is higher then 1.5.
is it not possible to add components when using a lower version? is the only solution is Uninstall/reinstall again?
how can I check the windows installer version of a machine from inside of another installation?.

does it means that users who has lower versions of windows installer would always have to uninstall/reinstall without being able to run a new installation and overwrite an existing one without uninstall?.

Thanks.

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 00:03

With older versions of Windows Installer, you could not add new components to existing features.  You had to create an additional feature/subfeature, then add the components to that new feature.  You could then use ADDLOCAL on the command line to install the new feature.

I'm guessing that this is your problem, because this limitation has been removed from MSI 2.0
Leigh Ravenhall
Expert Information Services