This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

OLEAUT32.DLL "in use" - Can't register

6 replies to this topic

wbrells

wbrells
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 17:51

Hello,

I'm including the ODBC 3.51 object in one of my IS 6.2 projects. Everything works fine, except on one system (WinNT4, SP6) on which the OLEAUT32.DLL is apparently "in use" when IS attempts to install the ODBC object (which includes OLEAUT32.DLL).

It appears that the ODBC object does not know how to handle "locked" files (such as OLEAUT32.DLL). Does anyone know some way of getting around this problem? (BTW, it was not possible to manually register that DLL using REGSVR32 - apparently, an "in use" file just cannot be registered!)

Thanks,

Wayne

Giurcanu Daniel

Giurcanu Daniel
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 13:11

Force registration afer reboot.
BATCH_INSTALL=TRUE .

wbrells

wbrells
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 15:42

Daniel,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, I am already forcing a reboot at the end of the installation. The problem is the IS6 error messages that pop up BEFORE the installation is complete. Here is the complete text of a typical message:

-------------------------------------
Self-registration error
-------------------------------------

One or more files did not properly self-register.

Following files did not not self-register:
1. C:\SYS\WINNT\System32\OLEAUT32.DLL
                  Access is denied,

2. C:\SYS\WINNT\System32\STDOLE2.TLB
                   Error accessing the OLE registry.

To continue select OK, otherwise select Cancel.

OK                      Cancel

Based on these error messages, I'm not at all convinced that IS6 is really self-registering the indicated files at re-boot time. (Even if the files ARE being correctly registered, the above messages are sure to upset our clients!)

Thoughts?

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 16:05

Use the pull-down menu under misc, I believe, to get OnSelfRegistrationError().  You can then alter it to suit.  Ie, take the list that they are using in the code (block out the limiting) and use the runonce key in the registry to ensure that they are registered after the reboot.  Use the silent option for regsvr32.  The format is a little tricky at first (have to use full paths and \" to get slashes around things and/or use longpathtoshort) and you should not use the -s option so you can verify that the files actually register the first time.

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 17:05

Are these files not automatically registered by Windows?

IF it's the case, could he not simply put them in a group that's not self registering, and Windows will handle them as it should?

Phil

wbrells

wbrells
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 17:19

Folks,

I thought the reason for using IS "objects" (such as ODBC 3.51) was to simplify the installation process. There are a large number of files that MAY be installed as part of ODBC, and it could be quite a bit of work to (1) Figure out which versions of which files should be installed for each possible operating system, (2) Make sure that - one way or another - those (potentially "in use") files are copied to the user's system, and (3) All self-registering files are, indeed, registered.

It really seems that IS 6.20/6.31should be handling all these details for any of the standard "objects" that are supplied with IS. We are contacting IS directly to see if they have any suggestions/comments. I will let you folks know what I find out.

Thanks,

Giurcanu Daniel

Giurcanu Daniel
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 14:14

When the installation make a batch registration ( after reboot), Installshield creates a file
<PROGRAMMFILES>\Installshield Installation Information\<GUID>\REBOOT.INI
In this files are all the files to be registered after reboot.
Also in "Runonce" registry key you can find  the registration command line.