This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installscript MSI

3 replies to this topic

Chetan

Chetan
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:31

Hi Friends,

We have recently buyed Installshield 2011 Premier Edition, Earlier we were using Installshield 2008 Premier Edition from which we used to create packages and project type is Installscript MSI.

In build server we have uninstalled the older one and installed latest version of Installshield.

Now a new requirement came saying that we have to support 64-bit Operating Systems. Earlier we used to support only for 32-bit Operating Systems.

Is it possible to have same Setup.exe to support 32-bit as well as 64-bit Operating Systems

OR

In single project do we have to create two product releases?? If Yes how to go ahead

I went across the help document for FlexeraCommunity

In that they have mentioned with help of Release Flags it can be implemented, how to map these release flags, since our project has built upon on Installscript on 64-bit O.S. registry functions may not work,

I have some set of questions

1. Is it possible to have same project which supports 32-bit as well as 64-bit? If Yes how to approach?
2. Do i need to build Installshield on 64-bit dedicated machine ??
3. Is single Setup.exe will support both 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Please guide me in this regard

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:27

You need to have two different .msi files, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. It's a limitation in Windows Installer that you can't have both in the same msi.
Theoretically you could have one setup.exe which would betect the target operating system and launch the 32 or 64 bit msi appropriately. However InstallShield's setup.exe doesn't do this.
You can create 32 and 64 bit releases from the same InstallShield project (I think this is discussed in the help, and there have been some changes in version 2011 to enable this) but you would have to create your own exe to launch the approriate version.

Chetan

Chetan
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 14:07

Greeting Stefan

Thanks for the reply

I have followed the help link provided in Help Library and went ahead and made changes as follows:
1. I created an additional Product Configuration in Installshield Project.
2. Changed the template summary to x64 so that is should support 64-bit O.S.

Now my doubt is do i need to change each Component property 64-Bit Component to true?? And what about the Installation Location on 64-bit, since 64-bit has different folder structure, does installshield take this automatically??

And i have used Registry functions extensively, will it affect on 64-bit O.S.??

How to use the release flags, i have gone through in Help Library but it didn't helped me.

Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 18:43

Just to be sure, did you read chapter "Targeting 64-Bit Operating Systems" in http://www.flexeraso...1_UserGuide.pdf ?