This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Wait for an installshield setup to finish.

1 reply to this topic

wagener

wagener
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 14:30

Hi everybody,

this is probably a FAQ but I have not been able to find a solution for this problem. During the startup of a program I check for several system requirements the program need in order to run. I kick off an installshield setup if some of these requirements are not met. Some of the requirements, e. g. MDAC, need a reboot after the setup program has finished others do not, e. g. registration of COM servers. In these cases I would like to wait for the setup program to finish. The standard way of doing this in C is to call CreateProcess for the external program, the installshield setup program in this case, and call WaitForSingleObject to wait for the child process to finish.
This does not work with an installshield setup because the program spawns another process and returns before the execution of the child process is finished.

Is there a work-around for this? What comes to mind is to use system semaphores but that would require the installshield project to free the semaphore itself.

Regards,

Thomas

Christof

Christof
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 08:57

Hi,
if I understand right you call other setup scripts. Why not using LaunchAppAndWait ( SRCDIR ^ "Your.Exe", "", WAIT ) ?
This will wait until the other setup has finished. You can set a reboot flag and reboot after finishing the scripts. I do it in  this way and it works great.
There is also the possibility to reboot from a point in the script and then reenter the setup, but this is a little bit more complicated...
Greetings
Christof