This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaging from InstallShield to MSI

3 replies to this topic

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 22:38

Microsoft, for example, is a company that creates many of their pre-MSI software releases with InstallShield (including ActiveSync and VisualStudio 6.0).

My current job requires me to use Wise Package Studio to repackage the corporate apps as no-questions-asked single-file MSI's. But when it comes to these InstallShield-based installations, the only option Wise has is "SetupCapture"... ugh! This is not good at all for complicated apps.

So I'd like to propose to the boss that if we pick up a copy of InstallShield Developer or AdminStudio Std, then that would make it easier to suck in the InstallShield-based distributions and repackage them as MSI's. So my questions are: (a) Is this true--can I lap up the IS package and convert more easily in an IS product (much like Wise can easily repackage a Wise-based distribution)? And (b) if so, which product do I need to buy?

TIA--   ~eric

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 19:10

have you tried using .ZAP files for your legacy apps ?

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 21:22

No, it doesn't meet my customer's requirements: single-file distro, self-healing and end-users have severely restricted rights. Only the Windoze Installer Service meets all these requirements...  ???

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 15:09

I suppose I'm beginning to answer my own question... I've picked up eval copies of InstallShield Developer & Admin Studio, and neither one can natively import the installations I was trying.
So, now the question is: Is there any tool which can import the installer settings from InstallShield packages with setup.ini, setup.ins and setup.exe files?

~ewall