This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Debugging Constants

2 replies to this topic

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 17:53

I honestly don't rely on the debugger too much.  Mainly use MessageBoxes and log statements to deduce the problem.

However, when I do end up having to debug, something I've always wondered is how to easily see the value of a constant--both the pre-defined ones (i.e. LESS_THAN) and user-defined ones.

If I simply add them to watch list as is it says "Error: symbol '<constant>' not found".

Let me know if you can and thanks in advance.
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 21:02

I'm sure you've thought of this extremely ugly way of solving that problem, but if it helps...
Define a regular variable and set its value to your constant.
ie.  nValueOfLESS_THAN = LESS_THAN
         Then watch nValueOfLESS_THAN in the debugger.

Yech, it hurt me to even type that response.  Unfortunately, I usually employ the 'ol message box debugger since I have 2 other systems to test on, so I don't have much expertise in using the debugger.

Hope this helped and didn't lower everyone's opinion of me ???
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 21:09

Yeah, I too have two other systems to test on, so that's also why I haven't used the debugger much.

Yeah, I nee dent do all that work.  Nowadays, I just do a search in my code or the help to look up the the declaration, but would like to really see it at runtime.
user posted image