This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Visual Studio Installer and upgrades

2 replies to this topic

CB

CB
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 08:39

Hello.

Is it possible to create a upgrade package (MSI) with Visual Studio Installer? In the IDE there's two GUID's called Product code and Upgrade code, but i havent been able to find any tutorials or written examples how to upgrade a package created with Visual Studio Installer.

Is it possible to do this or must the user uninstall and reinstall every time? (this is the default behavior if the product code is the same in both packages).

Any links or pointers are very welcome.

Greets,
CB

CB

CB
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 09:32

To add to my previous post:

I am using Visual Studio Installer 1.1 with Visual Studio 6.0 SP5. This is what i have tried to make the upgrading work.

1. Change installer project version number. Will trigger Repair/Remove dialog.
 2. Change Product code but keep same Upgrade code. Will create two instances of the same program.
 3. Change only the Upgrade code. Will trigger the Repair/Remove dialog.

The link http://www.installsi...msi.htm#upgrade contains information about how to do upgrades and binary patches, but according to that page a minor upgrade is achieved by incrementing the version number (installer project version?) and keeping the Product GUID (code). This is not what my results was. Please can anyone verify.

Greets,
CB

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 16:14

To perform a minor upgrade you will have to pass certain command line parameters when you launch your package. See the articles at
http://www.installsi...#PatchesSection

VSI doesn't have much built in support for minor updates, some manual work (with Orca) may be required.

The alternative would be a major upgrade (change product code and populate upgrade table)