This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic Msi minor update is not copying files

9 replies to this topic

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:33

Hi,

I am using Installshield 2010 with a Basic MSI project.

We have product and the requirement is to build different packages starting from a small upate and minor updates and provide updates to customers.

I have created a patch with version 310.24.1 by drag and drop the folders on to the target folder structure and deployed on to the target system where version 310.19 of the application is already avaliable , and setup does copied the files to the target system.

I reuse the same project and deleted the folders from the previous patch and built a minor update by changing the version to 310.28.5, this time setup exexuted sucesfuuly, but not copied the latest files.

I have the below properties that I set to override the files on the Target system every time

REINSTALLMODE=amus
ReinstallModeText=amus
REINSTALL=ALL

Also tried inserting a standard action RemoveExistingProdcuts InistallValidate and Installfinalize.

None of these options helped to override the files second time.

Please Help

Windows installer logs are attached fro your referenece.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:55

I am using Installshield 2010 with a Basic MSI project.

Moving question to the Basic MSI forum

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:56

Generate a log and look for SELMGR errors.
I don't fully understand what you're doing, but if you delete and re-create components then you break the minor update rules.

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:59

I have already attached the log, let me attach the file again.

Attached Files

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 18:04

MSI © (E4:90) [19:17:15:005]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{E2B0183A-9BC9-4BA7-B3AE-E34C7A4666A1}' is registered to feature 'OptimumFull', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (E4:90) [19:17:15:005]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported.

for the second update that I am trying to install has addtional parameters in the Commandline of windows installer log

First Patch:
MSI © (6C:78) [18:23:48:333]: Command Line: SETUPEXEDIR=W:\AutoInstalls\09202011\310.24.1 SETUPEXENAME=setup.exe CURRENTDIRECTORY=W:\AutoInstalls\09202011\310.24.1 CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=4460

Second Patch:
MSI © (E4:90) [19:17:00:692]: Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 SETUPEXEDIR=W:\AutoInstalls\09192011\310.28.5 SETUPEXENAME=setup.exe CURRENTDIRECTORY=W:\AutoInstalls\09192011\310.28.5 CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=4836

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 18:38

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to reuse the same Basic Msi install shield project and delete and load the files based on the each patch.

Because we have several sub folders under a Web folder, if we manually copy the files every time for each sub folder by not deleting the components associated, it's going to take lot of time and error prone too.

could please suggest an alternate to drag and droping the files for a smallupdate and minor update.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 18:39

That's what I suspected. So you either need to do a Mjor Upgrade, or keep the components and only update the files inside the component (but keep the key file setting)

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 21:35

If I go with Major upgrade, it's creating multiple entries in the ARP , and for each small update/minor update it's going to add one entry.

Is there a way to aviod multiple entries in the ARP, when you go with a major upgrade in place of small/minor upgrades by changing the product code(Package code, and version number also changed)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 17:12

If you add a Major Upgrade item in the Upgrades view, the old version will be uninstalle dautomatically. This will also remove the ARP entry of the old version, so there'll be only one entry. If you see multiple entries, the uninstall of the old version didn't take place (or failed) and you need to find out why.

sambati

sambati
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 18:57

Thank you Very Much Stefan !

Adding enrty to the upgrdes view solved my problem, and it does maintain one entry in the ARP now.

I was new to Installshiedl and I wasn't know that I have to add an enrty to the Upgrades view when you does an upgrade.