This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dynamic File Linking Question

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 18:38

If I'm choosing a folder for dynamic file linking and I select the option to include subfolders, will it build the sub folders on the target machine?

For example, on my build machine, I have a source directory \Test (this is also the name of the directory files will be placed in on the target machine). Under that, I have folders 1, 2, and 3. I select the include subfolders option and the files are pulled into and listed in the component files window as 1\fileone.txt, 1\filetwo.txt, 2\file1.txt, 2\file2.txt, etc..

Will these files appear in the subfolders 1, 2, and 3 on the target machine or am I just linked to the source in the subfolders and all files will appear under the \Test directory on the target machine?

I'm hoping the subfolders will be built on the target.

Also, when pulling files into a component, is there a limit on the amount of files you can add? I have a rather large amount of images I want to dump in a component, and it appears, when I highlight all to pull from my source, only a certain number are added. I have to do several adds to get all the files in.

Any help, as always, is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:14

Yes, install shield will build the folders on the machine for you.

You can have as many files as you like, but I think there are some known bugs inside install shield when you have too many.

You probably shouldnt have too many because it will be too confusing and very complicated to manager. Also, in saying that, you dont want hundreds of folders and component because that becomes hard to manage as well. You need to find a happy medium smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 15:53

Note that includin sub folders in dynmaic links will prevent you from creating small or minor updates because components are created on the fly for those sub folders, ad their IDs don't match in the old and new version.