This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.NET DLL COM+ Registration problem solved, but...

6 replies to this topic

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 14:31

Hi All,

I use a vbscript custom action that is able to install a DLL into COM+. When an VB6 DLL is installed trough this script everything works fine. When a .NET dll is being used this script will fail in the 'COMAdminCatalog.InstallComponent' method. I solved this issue by running the standard action 'InstallExecute' just before my custom action, which makes sure that all spooled actions are being executed.

So using the 'InstallExecute' standard action just before running my script solves my COM+ installation problems. But a new one was introduced. This action is responsible for resetting the progressbar to 0, which is a little bit irritating.

Is it somehow possible to prevent the progressbar reset? Or is there an alternative for using the 'InstallExecute' standard action in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 14:24

Why not insert your Custom Action in the Execute sequence, after InstallFinalize?

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 15:30

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, but it results in an error 2762 when running the setup. Is this because it is a deferred Custom Action that uses the CustomActionData?

Also when compiling this solution, it results in a warning that a deferred custom action should be placed between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize. Is it safe to ignore this warning?

best regards,

Jan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 15:45

Make your action Immediate, and use the regular properties, not CustomActionData.

Or keep it deferrred with CustomActionData, but insert it immediately before InstallFinalize.

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:18

Hi Stefan,

Just before InstallFinalize does not work unfortunatly. I get the same error as when I'm not using the 'InstallExecute' standard action.

About your Immediate execution of the Custom Action I have the following question:
The .NET Dll that I need to register in COM+ is not present at the target machine. This will be available (not registered) after the 'InstallFiles' action. I believe that this action is a deferred one, since it modifies the target system. All actions that modify the target system, should be deferred (according to the best practises).
How can an immediate action make use of the .NET Dll file that is not present and not registered? Am I missing something here?

I'm thinking leave it just the way it is, or insert some (deferred) custom action just before 'InstallExecute' standard action that reads out the current progressbar state and one just after that is able to reconfigure the progressbar to this state. Any comments on this? How to get the current progressbar state (ticks and so on)?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 16:17

InstallFinalize executes all the deferred actions. After InstallFinalize all deferred actions are finished, and only immediate action take place.
For a more detailed explanation see this article:
http://www.installsi...00108/index.htm

JvdP

JvdP
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 07:52

Thanks Stefan,

That's an informative article! Thanks for the help. You're board has been a great resource of information to me!

Best regards,

Jan