This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to customize SetupProgress dialog?

3 replies to this topic

HermioneJJ

HermioneJJ
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:46

Hi All,
I need to create a new SetupProgress dialog which list the main actions the installer will execute, and it will check off each item after it finished it.just like the pic attached. Does anyone know how to do that?
by the way, these actions are not between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize, They are some nested installation actions before ExecuteAction.

Thanks a lot!
Hermione

Attached Images

• checkoff.gif

Edited by HermioneJJ, 03 July 2006 - 04:48.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:01

I'm not sure how feasible this is. I may require an external UI handler.

I also want to mention that nested install custom actions are officially deprecated. They may be okay in some special scenarios, but in general they should be avoided (and you will not get the Certified for Vista logo if you use them)

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 17:31

Hi Stefan,

I used nested installs in the past for shipping installers and have not experienced any problems. I'd like to know since when nested custom actions were officially deprecated? Could you please also share what problems could occur if we end up using nested MSI installations using custom actions. I read that patching or upgrades could be problematic but would be interested to know the reasons it would fail on such cases and in what scenarios (for e..g would it fail for minor upgrades or major upgrades or both?).

Thanks for any help in advance.

-rb

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 19:07

Here are some links:

http://msdn2.microso...y/aa368010.aspx
Concurrent Installations, also called Nested Installations, is a deprecated feature of the Windows Installer.
Rule 20: Avoid Nested Installs