This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Wacky MSDE behaviour

2 replies to this topic

chopper

chopper
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:11

Hi,

I'm currently installing MSDE using the microsoft redistributable (launchAppandWait) and not the installshield component as I need to execute my SQLScripts before I copy the exe's in.
This problem only occurs on a new install where I am setting up a new MSDE instance on a clean machine, with a blank sa password and SQL security mode.
I'm using a VB6 app to run the SQLscripts.... on an upgrade or if MSDE or SQL server is already installed on the machine then the VB6 app runs fine.
The problem occurs when MSDE has been installed and then VB6 app is called and runs the create database statements....
I'm getting a "method ~ of object ~ failed -2147024894 (80070002)" error .... which means nothing to me?
What is really weird though is, if I stop the installer with a abort or exit statement and then restart the installer (without rebooting) the create database scripts run fine????

Help!!

At the moment my only solution is to stop the installer after the MSDE install and restart it from scratch using a batch file.... I tried using a restart with a switch to make the installer jump back to where it exited (ie straight after the MSDE install) but this just caused the same error to appear meaning that it must be something in the sdWelcome or sdLicense dialogs that is possibly the root of the problem???

chopper

chopper
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 14:27

My fault ... for whatever reason the SQL path statement was getting recognised when MSDE was being installed ... the fix was to explicitly declare paths for all external exes

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 14:33

-2147024894 looks like a file not found error. Do you need to update the PATH to make your VB6 app work? (a running setup doesn't see the change in PATH environment)