This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Maintenance Mode = STUPID

3 replies to this topic

TroubledPupp

TroubledPupp
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 14:27

I recently inherited the lovely task of creating an installation package with Install Shield Developer 7.02 :(  And I must say it seems that everywhere I go for help, no one can plainly describe the tasks needed to perform an upgrade properly.

This is simply what I want...

1) On First Install - install the features that the user selects how they want them installed and where.

2) When a new version of one of the features is available, like a new version of one of the executables, I would like to be able to have the user put the new CD in their computer and Install over the existing version without having to go through the process of Maintenance.  Is this too much to ask?

I have been using this product for maybe 2 weeks now, and I just would like to know if there is any step by step samples for Developer 7.02 to show me what I need to do to create an upgrade?  I can't find any help on this topic, and there is not enough time for me to research this fully.  This is supposed to be a simple task, I am not just an Installation Developer, I also have to develop software, I don't have time to be spending on this, I just want it to work!! :angry:  

I am afraid to send out my installation, and then find out later that I didn't prepare properly for an upgrade, and I will cause users strife down the road. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

paulking

paulking
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:28

There are two things you need to do to enable upgrades:

1. Go to the Direct Editor view, then the Upgrade table. Add a new item as follows:

UpgradeCode - cut & paste the project's UpgradeCode here (from General Information->Product Properties)

VersionMin - set to to lowest version you want to upgrade (probably 1.00.0000)

VersionMax - leave blank

Language - leave blank

Attributes - enter 769

Remove - enter ALL

ActionProperty - enter OLDPRODUCTS

2. Before building a new version of your project, go to General Information->Product Properties, and update the Product Version and Product Code (make sure you don't alter the Upgrade Code). Then go to the Summary Information Stream, and update the Package Code.

When you run the new setup on a machine that has an old version installed, it should automatically remove the old version then install the new one (without the "maintenance mode" dialog appearing)

IsLadyBug

IsLadyBug
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 21:32

I've tried this with a STD IS7.03 project.  I also need to avoid Maint/Repair installs altogether.  If the user runs setup.exe a 2nd time,  they should get a 1st time install (including splash screen).  In addtion to the upgrade settings you identified, I have ALSO ensured that  

1)  Project Properties-Enable Maintenance flag is set to NO
2)  Setup.ini has NoAddRemove=Y
3)  Ran SetupLauncher.exe to remove Registry entries  from any previous instal, prior to running Setup.exel.

During setup, the user can select to re-install components to any directory.  The problem is the selected components are NOT installed, IS only pretends to install them. (I know this because the progress bar goes right to 100% immediately.

Any thoughts?

paulking

paulking
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 09:41

I did a quick test of my original instructions by creating a new project (containing a single text file), then building it, installing it, rebuilding it and installing it again. It all seems to work OK - on running setup.exe for the second time, I chose a custom install and selected a different directory. The updated text file was copied into the new directory, and the original text file and directory (from the first install) were removed.

I've found that it is critical to change the Product Version, Package Code and Product Code when building a new version. I have seen the situation you describe (where the install appears to run but the files don't get copied) - it occurs if you update the Product Code without updating the Package Code. Also, make sure the entry in the Update table is correct - the UpgradeCode must be the same as the one under Product Properties.