This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ApplicationFolder->Subfolder not being created!

4 replies to this topic

drumroll

drumroll
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 17:51

Hi. I am using Visual Studio Installer 1.1 and Orca to create a MSI that is working fine, except that, now that I've added a subfolder to my application folder--it (the subfolder) is not being created during the installation! Even if I put a dummy placeholder file in that subfolder, it still is not created for some reason!

I even added a couple of files (not folders) to the main application folder and chose Rebuild in VSI and then installed it and the new files I created are not being copied either. What is going on? What do I need to do to get a subfolder created using VSI or I can do it manually with ORCA too. Any links that anyone has related to this would be helpful.

Please note that I am using VB6 and VSI 1.1
Haven't upgraded to .NET yet.

Thanks for your attention and help!
Nate

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 21:59

Are you testing on a clean system each time? Do you change the PackageCode GUID with each build?
When adding new files to subfolders, you are adding new components. Are these new components associated with features?
Does a verbose log file give any hints?

drumroll

drumroll
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 19:41

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2005-08-17 21:59)
Are you testing on a clean system each time? Do you change the PackageCode GUID with each build?
When adding new files to subfolders, you are adding new components. Are these new components associated with features?
Does a verbose log file give any hints?

Are you testing on a clean system each time?
No -- and that turned out to be my main problem -- that is -- the software installation that was in group policy was overriding the installation I was launching.

Stefan, thanks for your reply. Now if you don't mind I would like to get your (or anyone else's) opinion on another related question:

The only reason that I had to put a file in the subfolder was so that the subfolder would be created automatically during the install. The subfolder is not really used until reports are launched in the application itself. Is there another way to do this i.e. somewhere in ORCA that I can manually specify that the empty folder be created? I searched all over the web, but everything I found seemed to correspond to VS.NET installer, whereas I am still using VSI 1.1 (and ORCA).

Secondly, there are two files that are created in my application's path when I run (not install) my application and I don't know where they are coming from. They are MyApplicationName.exp and MyApplicationName.lib

Does anyone know where these files are coming from? The reason that I ask is that these two files prevent the Windows Installer from removing my application's directory from Program Files during uninstallation because it is unaware that they are there. So, of course, me being the "think outside the box" type, I included those files as part of the install. The only problem now is that the Installer Repair itself every time the application runs now because the application continually overwrites these two files at runtime. Does anyone have any ideas that maybe could help in these circumstances?

Thanks for your attention!
Nate

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:17

Is there another way to do this i.e. somewhere in ORCA that I can manually specify that the empty folder be created?

You can add entries to the CreateFolder table in your msi file using Orca (you may need to add the table if it doesn't exist).
Secondly, there are two files that are created in my application's path when I run (not install) my application

I don't know where these are coming from (maybe ask the developer of the application?). But you could add entries to the removeFile table to delete them upon uninstall (even if they are not included in your install package)

drumroll

drumroll
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 14:41

Wow, ok--I didn't even know those tables existed. I thought it was more complicated (as in--scripting some custom action, etc).

Thanks Stefan! By the way, this is a great site and I appreciate what you are doing here (on the web).

Thanks,
Nate