This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Checking for Reboot after install

3 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 23:32

after the install has run and a reboot was required, is there a way to check for reboot?

what if the user runs the install and the install asks for a reboot, because of files in use, but the user chooses no. then the user tries to run the advertised icon on the desktop which then launches the install because the previous install didn't complete.

the install runs again trying to install the missing components.

is there a way to trap this?

Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:05

Hello !

You have the AFTERREBOOT property which is set to 1 after a reboot.
I now that it works after a FORCEREBOOT action, but don't know after a scheduleReboot action.

But you should not need it after a schedulReboot Action because the ask-for-a-reboot prompt appears after the installation process

So if your installation process is not complete when you are asked for a reboot, it should be because you use the ForceReboot action, so you can use the AFTERREBOOT Property.

In your case, you are asked for a reboot because of file-in-use problem, but I thought that MSI didn't prompt for a reboot, but for closing the applications or overwriting the files in use. What type of files are you using ?

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 17:31

my application ties into IE and Windows Explorer. MSI will ask for reboot if it does not have any other options.

my situation is:

a user runs install (upgrade) and is given the option to reboot at the end of install. the user chooses "no". the install completes, exits, and is no longer running.

the user then tries to run the advertised icon to launch my application. MSI is launched at this point from the application icon. i assume it launches because there are components missing since the reboot from the upgrade did not occur.

when the MSI launches it goes into UPDATE mode and tries, but fails, to complete its appointed tasks because the files from the upgrade are still locked (ie reboot hasn't happened yet).

after which my application is hosed! it doesn't not complete the tasks that needed a reboot and fails to work correctly from this point on.

i've seen some installs give a prompt "a previous install has not completed, please reboot your machine". is there a way i can program this into my MSI for this situation?

is there a key in the registry that indicates action must be taken upon reboot? if i can find this key then my problems are solved.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:02

After a "ForceReboot" action you get the following keys:

1) "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress\"

2) "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\!{GUID}"

3) "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\RunOnceEntries\!{GUID}"

The first key references a ".ipi" file in the "%SystemRoot%\Installer\" folder. It tells other installs that there is already an installation in progress.

The second one specifies the command-line to run after the reboot.

The third is a "runonce" key that kicks off the whole process after the reboot. It references the second key.