This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield X

10 replies to this topic

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:14

i recently started working with instalshield X. My requirement is
while running my setup .exe which is used to install from 5 diff application.i do not want to have all the this in one huge setup. Instead i want to have them on the web and install as required fromthe net.In short i need to get the reuired files form the web as in when required. how do i do it??

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:00

A Once Click Install can do this. It will only download the required files.

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 13:46

The problem is that in one click i have the whole setup and wheni try to run it on a client system the whole setup file is accessed which i want to avoid. My req. is that after the liscensing , the user selects the application it wants to install and then according to the selction only that those files should be copying thats req for the application selected.This was the downloading would be faster as the file is going to be smaller.For this what do i do??

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 14:47

That's exactly how a one-click install works. First it downloads only the setup.exe and the script. After the dialogs run through and the user made his selection, only the needed application files will be downloaded.

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:03

Thanx for the help stefan.Now i have another problem.According the license key (which is encoede with the unique key and then the number of applications and their names which ithe user wants to download ) i need to download the application from the web.Now how do i download it without selecting it from the component dialogBox i mean it will involve some sripting i guess. how do i go about it??

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:33

You can call FeatureSelectItem to do the same in script.

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:31

I get that i have to use the built in functions like FeatureSelectItem. but where do i writ it??
i need to check thel isence key which is embeded with the details of what application to install and then install the required applications.HOw do i acces the key from the dialogbox in run time and then how do i go about instal the specific applciation?????/

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:39

You may want to read about InstallScript and the event model, or maybe attend a training course, to become familar with InstallScript programming.

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:17

i have worked on scripts on install shield 6.3 and not Xits a big jump for me from 6.3 to X. And its been quite confusing to figure out the scripting!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:30

The event model is very similar. The function names have changed from Component* to Feature*. You could put your code either in the OnFirstUIBefore event handler if you need to make the selection while the dialogs are displayed, or in OnMoving for instance.

sumita

sumita
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:32

oh okie! so ts the same as in 6.3 inth setup.rul i just add scripts in these functions??And am sorry to be putting so manyy queries.! am just a freshers .. doing my Intership where am asked to work on installshield!! thanx:)