This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action Execution on Patch Removal

1 reply to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 20:18

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone knows a work around for getting a Custom Action to fire when a patch is removed on Windows Installer version < 4.0 (or 4.5 I can't remember). On earlier versions there is no way to mark a custom action to run specifically when patch is removed.

I did read about some workarounds, for example... create a non-removable patch with the required CA as an interim step. Then create your real patch. When this is removed, your desired CA will fire because it was not part of the removable, real patch.

I was hoping I could condition a CA based on $NewComp<>3 where NewComp is actually introduced in the patch. However, it appears when I remove this patch, the CA is no longer available to execute.

Is there any work around to this that anyone can think of?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 17:02

That's not possible because it doesn't execute the patch to "un-patch" the application. Instead it (basically) forgets about the patch and runs a re-install of the previous version.
Since many found that this could be a problem, the new patch uninstall custom action type was introduced in MSI 4.0