This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install a feature by default via Custom dialog

2 replies to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 14:55

Happy Tuesday morning everyone,

This is a basic MSI installation.
I am using IS Windows Installer Edition 2.3.

My installation program installs two features.
Project INSTALLLEVEL property is set to 100.

Part one:

Feature one, is installed unconditionally. (Install Level=100 and Required=yes)
Feature two, is optional. (Install Level 100 and Required=no).

When a user selects "custom" instead of "typical", from the "Set up type" dialog, both features are listed but Feature two, has an "X" indicating that is will NOT be installed unless the user selects it.

Some users have chosen to install Feature two and some have not.

This is functioning as I expected.

Part two:

The user runs an upgrade to the previously described installation.

If Feature two was NOT installed previously, the feature will show up with an X in when "custom" is selected from the "Set up type" dialog.

If Feature two WAS installed previously, the feature will NOT have an X when "custom" is selected from the "Set up type" dialog.
(Indicating that it will be updated (if appropriate) during this upgrade.)

This is also functioning as I expected it to.

Part three: (My problem)

I have been asked to, get Feature Two installed on the pc's that don't have it and, to upgrade Feature two on the pc's that already have it installed.

I was thining that ........
During an upgrade, I want Feature two to show up WITHOUT an X when "custom" is selected from the "Set up type" dialog REGARDLESS if the feature was installed previously.

Is there a way to do this ?

I've been playing with this for some hours and I just can't seem to get a handle on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ray in Wisconsin.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 19:51

First of all: parts one seems wrong to me. If both features' Install Level=100 then both should be selected by default.

Updating and changing feature selection in one step is a problem. But it may be possible by adding a AddLocal control event for feature 2.

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 14:09

Good Thursday morning to your.

First:
Thanks for your reply.

Second:
You are correct sir.
That part of my posting should have read "Feature two, is optional. (Install Level 125 and Required=no).

I re-read that posting several times before sending it to be sure it was accurate.
I so dislike wasting peoples time when I'm asking for help.
Sorry.

Third:
Thanks once again to your suggestion, laste last night, I was able to put together something that does the job.

The following solution, would have not occurred to me without your response.

In the dialogs view, I clicked on "Behavior" for the "Setup Type" dialog.
Then selected "Next" (because I wanted to change the behavior of the Next button).
Then added a new event to the "Next" button with the following settings.
Event: SetInstallLevel
Argument: 100
Condition: 1

Then I Right-clicked on the new event and selected "Move Up" until it was at the top of the list.

This last step is pretty important.
It took 5 failures before it occurred to me that this event needs to be at the top of the list.
(Never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Thanks again Stefan.